Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Westlake Restaurant Wish list

(Originally Posted 12/11/2007)

Do all the hip, cool, and casual restaurants in Austin think they are too chic for Westlake? Don’t we deserve access to the best local eateries in town? I was provoked to this level of envy after eating at Blue Star restaurant on Burnet Road this Sunday. It was sooo good. It reminded me of the meal I ate a few weekends ago at the South Congress café, and another one I had at Jo’s and Enoteca, and then I thought, “wait a minute. Why can’t I eat like this closer to home? We are starving out West people. Can’t you help us out? Face it; we in Westlake have been dissed in the dining department.

Most folks in Westlake can empathize. We simply cannot get or keep a good restaurant in this part of town. Though what really irks me is that some of the places I love most have never even considered moving west.

In case Santa or any of these restaurant owners cares, I humbly submit my Westlake restaurant wish list this Christmas.

1. Blue Star Cafeteria – Delicious brunch items (their eggs benedict are crispy on the bottom and velvety and silky on top.

2. Jo’s Coffee – I have to drive 20 minutes to get my iced Turbo fix.

3. South Congress Café – I would eat their snapper Po Boy for lunch once a week if I didn’t have to tread so far.

4. Einstein’s Bagels. It isn’t a local joint, but, where can I get a toasted bagel (with peanut butter) and a decent cup of coffee in the morning at 6am? Anyone? Anyone?

5. Kitchen Door or some type of serious bakery. Please!!!

6. East Side Pies – Might you consider a sister location called, hum, let me think – West Side Pies? Not to appear ungrateful, I would like to note the Westlake restaurants for which I am quite thankful.

7. Wildwood – a wonderful vegan, gluten free option amidst all the fast food on Bee Caves.

8. Hai KY -The new Vietnamese place that took over the Texas French Bread next to Westlake nails. I can hardly believe it’s true. Delicious pho just in time for Christmas and the cold weather.

9. Thistle Café – perfect for a quick lunch with friends, take out at home, and chocolate chip cookie binges. Yeah!!

10. The soon to be HEB with Café. Thanks for showing us the love HEB.

11. Last but not least - and I never thought I would be saying this but - Chili’s. It’s not local, but, I don’t know where I could show up with kids after such an exhausting week and get waited on with decent service, reasonable prices, and if nothing else a decent if not predictable meal.

But, as I think further on the subject, I realize the beauty in have these places outside of my Westlake bubble. In venturing out, I am able to fully take in Austin’s true beauty in its entirety. What I love most about this city is the change in scene and energy from one local to the next. The air has a unique feel everywhere you go. From Rosewood to campus, to Manor for soul food, and Downtown, to SoCo, and back home again. It’s all worth the trip.

No comments:

Post a Comment